Week of December 6 through December 12, 2020.
Anytime this week
- Read and discuss the Gospel reading for the upcoming Sunday (Third Week of Advent).
December 6th: Celebrate St. Nicholas
St. Nicholas was the Bishop of Myra and the inspiration for our Santa Claus traditions.
- Read: Read about St. Nicholas here.
- Eat: Make a cake in the shape of a bishop’s mitre (hat) to celebrate the day. Find simple directions on Catholic Cuisine.
- Pray: The St. Nicholas Center has many prayers and blessings to use on St. Nicholas day.
- Bonus: The St. Nicholas Center has many different traditions from around the world to add to your family’s celebration.
December 8th: Celebrate the Immaculate Conception
Celebrate the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
- Worship: Attend Mass in person or online.
- Read: Read about the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
- Eat: White is a symbol of purity, so on this day when we celebrate Mary’s being conceived without the stain or original sin, enjoy some white foods. Find ideas on Catholic Cuisine.
- Pray: Pray the Hail Mary before meals and bedtime.
December 9th or 12th: Celebrate the Feasts of St. Juan Diego (December 9) and Our Lady of Guadalupe (December 12)
- Read: Read their story.
- Eat: Enjoy some Mexican food on one (or both!) of these days. If you want to try something new, check out food ideas for both feast days at Catholic Cuisine. Scroll down to December 9 and 12.
- Pray: Pray the Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
- Do: (Older youth and adults) Watch the movie, Guadalupe: The Miracle and the Message on Amazon. (Will include ads.)