Rev. Paul C. Albers
Rev. Paul C. Albers was born February 18, 1911 in Fort Madison, Iowa, the son of Lewis and Mary Frances (Mast) Albers. He attended St. Mary Elementary School and Catholic Central High School in Fort Madison. He took his undergraduate studies at St. Ambrose College, Davenport and his theological studies at Kenrick Seminary, St. Louis, Missouri. He was ordained March 13, 1937 at Sacred Heart Cathedral, Davenport. Father Albers offered his first Mass the next day, at St. Mary, West Point. His first assignment was Sacred Heart Cathedral, Davenport. The next assignment was to St. Patrick, Ottumwa. He then came to Knoxville in 1945 where he remained for 24 years until February 1969. While Father Albers was with the parish, the parish school and hall were built, as well as extensive remodeling done to the old church building. In 1962, St. Anthony Church celebrated his 25th year of ordination with him. In 1969, he was transferred to St. Alphonsus, Mount Pleasant where he stayed until his retirement when he returned home to West Point, Iowa where he remained until he passed away in December 2001.
Rev. Kevin Anstey
Father Kevin graduated from Conception Seminary College in Conception, Missouri, and completed his theology studies at Mundelein Seminary at St. Mary of the Lake, Illinois. On June 7, 2014, he was ordained to the priesthood by Bishop Martin Amos at Sacred Heart Cathedral. Father Kevin served as parochial vicar at St. John Vianney in Bettendorf before his time as pastor at St. Anthony-Knoxville and Sacred Heart-Melcher-Dallas from 2016 to 2022.
Rev. Frank Barry
Rev. Frank Barry was born in Kerry County, Ireland in 1894, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Barry. He was ordained shortly before the United States entered the First World War. He served as Chaplain in the First Cavalry Division. Father Barry arrived at St. Anthony, Knoxville after the war, where he was first Catholic Chaplain at the VA Hospital, while also serving at St. Mary, Pella and All Saints, Pershing as mission pastor. He was reassigned in 1937 and served in World War II as a Chaplain, becoming a Lieutenant Colonel and the first Diocesan Chaplain to go overseas. He served several months in Ireland but illness forced him to return to the United States. After his recovery, he served as Chaplain in several hospitals until his death in August 1957.
Rev. Philip A. Cardenzana
Rev. Philip A. Cardenzana, the son of John and Mary Ann (Toigo) Cardenzana, was born on June 10, 1939 in Albia, Iowa. He attended Washington Grade School and Lincoln Junior High in Albia. When he was 14, he caught a train to Worthington, Ohio, where he enrolled in the Pontifical College Josephinum as a high school freshman. He stayed until he graduated with a Bachelors in Art in 1961, then remained at the college to study theology. He was ordained at the college on May 29, 1965 by Most Reverend Egidio Vangnozzi, Apostolic Delegate. Father Cardenzana’s first assignment was as assistant pastor at St. Paul, Burlington. In 1969, he was assigned to St. Patrick, Ottumwa as associate pastor. In 1971, he was made administrator of St. Joseph, Montrose while serving as the Religious Education Coordinator for Aquinas High School in Fort Madison. He was appointed pastor of St. Mary, Albia in 1980 and while he was there, served as administrator of St. Patrick, Georgetown from 1981 to 1983. He served as pastor of St. Mary, Wapello and St. Mary, Dodgeville from 1985 to 1988, when he was assigned as pastor at St. Anthony, Knoxville; St. Mary, Pella; and Sacred Heart, Melcher. He left the trio of parishes in 1996 to be Parochial Vicar for Immaculate Conception, Colfax and Sacred Heart, Newton. He was made pastor of Immaculate Conception in 1999 until he retired on December 1, 2004. He remained a resident there until his death on July 24, 2005.
Rev. Steve Ebel
Fr. Ebel graduated from Regina High School in Iowa City, St. Ambrose College in Davenport, and did theological studies at Mt. St. Bernard/Aquinas Institute of Theology in Dubuque and St. John Seminary in Collegeville, Minnesota. On June 6, 1970, he was ordained to the priesthood by Bishop Gerald O’Keefe at Sacred Heart Cathedral in Davenport.
Fr. Ebel served as associate pastor at St. Mary Parish in Clinton from 1970-73, Our Lady of Victory Parish in Davenport from 1973-78 and Sacred Heart Cathedral in Davenport from 1978-82. He served as pastor of St. Mary Parish in Pella from 1982-86. After taking a sabbatical for studies, he was temporary administrator, then pastor of St. Malachy Parish in Ardon and St. Joseph Parish in Columbus Junction from 1987-1991 and St. Mary Parish in Nichols from 1987-88. He served as pastor at St. Mary Parish in Wapello from 1988-91, St. Ann Parish in Long Grove from 1991-2007, and Our Lady of the River Parish in LeClaire from 1998-2001. He served as pastor of St. Anthony Parish in Knoxville and Sacred Heart Parish in Melcher from 2007 to 2013, when he retired.
Rev. James Garrity
Rev. James Garrity was born November 8, 1890. He attended school in Chicago, Illinois, then later at St. Ambrose Academy and College in Davenport where he received a B.A. degree. He took his theological studies at St. Mary Seminary in Baltimore, Maryland and at the Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C. He was ordained May 27, 1922 in Davenport and received his first assignment as assistant pastor at St. Mary Catholic Church, Davenport. He was then sent to St. Mary, Weller as pastor. His next assignment was at Sacred Heart, Lost Nations, then Sacred Heart, Melcher before coming to St. Anthony, Knoxville in 1940. He was next transferred to St. Patrick, Brooklyn where he passed away on December 7, 1949. During his time with us in Knoxville, there were many interior improvements made to the old St. Anthony church building. One addition was the rose colored leaded glass window over the main entrance on the south side of the building.
Father Dennis Hoffman
Father Dennis graduated from Loras College-Dubuque. Prior to seminary, he worked with the American Red Cross Disaster Services. He completed his theology studies at Sacred Heart School of Theology-Hales Corners. He was ordained to the priesthood in 1990 by Bishop Gerald O’Keefe at Sacred Heart Cathedral. Father Hoffman has served St. Paul the Apostle Parish-Davenport, St. Patrick Parish-Iowa City, All Saints Parish-Keokuk, St. John Parish-Houghton, St. James Parish, St. Paul Parish, St. Mary Parish-Pella, Immaculate Conception Parish-Colfax, and St. Boniface Parish-Farmington and St. Mary Parish-West Point. He is currently the pastor at St. Anthony, Knoxville and Sacred Heart, Melcher (2022).
Rev. John Martin
Rev. John was born March 13, 1920 in Davenport, Iowa, the son of Dr. John and Marcella (Costello) Martin. He attended St. Ambrose Academy and College, where he graduated in 1942 with a Bachelors of Arts degree. He took advanced studies at Loras College, Dubuque and theology at Kenrick Seminary, St. Louis, Missouri. He was ordained at Sacred Heart Cathedral, Davenport. He was a teacher at St. Ambrose Academy, then was assigned as assistant pastor of St. Patrick, Ottumwa while also serving as Chaplain at Ottumwa Heights College. He served as assistant pastor at St. Joseph, Fort Madison; St. Patrick, Iowa City; and Sacred Heart, Fort Madison. He was then sent back to Ottumwa Heights College as Chaplain while serving St. Mary, Eddyville. He was assigned to St. Anthony, Knoxville in March 1969 as pastor until he resigned in 1973. He was then loaned to the Diocese of Tucson in Arizona due to poor health. He passed away April 12, 1985.
Rev. Thomas Parlette
Rev. Parlette is an Ohio native. He attended Judson College in Elgin, Illinois, graduating in 1968 with a Bachelors of Art degree. He entered Eastern Baptist Seminary in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and graduated with a Masters of Art in 1970. He attended the Catholic University of America at Washington, D.C. and was ordained in the priesthood at Our Lady of Lourdes, Bettendorf on June 23, 1989 by the Most Reverend Gerald O’Keefe. Father Parlette’s first assignment was as Parochial Vicar of All Saints, Keokuk, Iowa, from 1989 to 1990. His next assignment was Prince of Peace in Clinton, Iowa from 1990-1994. His next assignment was with Des Moines Country Parishes from 1994 to 1996. He was assigned as pastor of St. Anthony, Sacred Heart, and St. Mary from 1996 to July 1999. His next assignment was to Ss. Mary and Joseph in Fort Madison. In 2004, Sacred Heart, Fort Madison was added to his pastoral duties. In 2007, Fr. Parlette was transferred to St. Ann, Long Grove until 2009 when he was assigned to St. Peter, Buffalo and St. Alphonsus, Davenport as pastor.
Rev. Philip Ryan
Rev. Philip Ryan is an Illinois native. He moved to Brooklyn, Iowa in 1936 and attended Brooklyn Elementary and High Schools. He graduated from St. Ambrose College in 1953 and took his theological training at Mount Saint Bernard Seminary, Dubuque. He was ordained June 1, 1957 at Sacred Heart Cathedral in Davenport by Bishop Ralph L. Hayes. Father Ryan offered his first Mass at St. Patrick Church, Brooklyn on June 2, 1957. His first assignment was at St. Alphonsus, Mount Pleasant, then at Sacred Heart, Fort Madison. He was next assigned to St. Irenaeus, Clinton, where he stayed until November 1973, when he was assigned to St. Anthony, Knoxville. While Father Ryan was there, the parish sold their school building and relocated their worship and instructional facilities to their current location. He also served as pastor at St. Mary, Pella. After leaving Knoxville, he attended a renewal program at the Notre Dame University in Nomi, Italy. He returned to serve at Sacred Heart, Melcher and St. Joseph, Bauer, then on to St. Mary, Sigourney, and Our Lady of Lourdes, Keswick. Father Ryan returned to Knoxville for a brief time in 2007 following his retirement, as interim Pastor. Knoxville was honored to celebrate the 50th anniversary of his ordination while he was there. He has since returned to Brooklyn, Iowa to enjoy his retirement.
Rev. Mark Spring
Rev. Spring was born on November 27, 1947 in Kiel, Germany. He was adopted by Lawrence and Roberta (Guthrie) Spring of Fort Madison, Iowa. He attended school in Fort Madison, graduating from high school there in 1968. He then entered the Air Force, serving from 1970 to 1973. Upon discharge, he entered the Southeast Community College until transferring to St. Ambrose, Davenport. He graduated in 1976. He studied theology at Sacred Heart School of Theology, Hales Corners, Wisconsin. He was ordained by Most Reverend Gerald O’Keefe at Sacred Heart, Fort Madison on August 29, 1980. Father Spring’s first assignment was administrator at St Mary, Albia, then as administrator of St. Joseph, Montrose. In 1981, he was transferred to St. James, Washington as Parochial Vicar. In 1982, he was made administrator at St. Mary Magdalene, Bloomfield, and remained there until re-entering the Air Force in 1984 as a Chaplain, staying until 1997. He was re-acclimated to parish life while serving as parochial vicar of St. Mary, Muscatine. He was assigned as pastor of St. Mary, Riverside in 1997 to 1999. He was assigned to St. Anthony, Knoxville in 1999. While he was there, the parish was honored to celebrate his 25th anniversary of ordination. He left Knoxville in 2006 for a period of spiritual renewal. Upon his return, he took the position of chaplain at Fort Madison Penitentiary. In 2009, he served the parishes of Holy Family, Fort Madison and St. Joseph, Montrose as Parochial Vicar. Father Spring passed away in 2019.