The fourth Sunday in Advent is December 19th. Here’s what we have on our calendar; pick one or two to add to your household’s activities that week, along with reading the Sunday Gospels together and attending Mass.
December 19th: Start Decorating for Christmas!
Current society tends to start “Christmasing” very early, but as Catholics we do not start celebrating Christmas until Christ’s birthday. One way to help separate our season of waiting, Advent, from our season of celebrating, Christmas, is to wait to decorate our home until as close to Christmas as possible.
December 23rd: Decorate the Church
The Liturgy Commission waits until as close to Christmas as possible to put up decorations. They’d love your help and it makes a great family activity to prepare our parish home for the celebration of the birth of Christ. This year they’re meeting at 9 a.m. on the 23rd to decorate. Everyone is welcome to join them!
December 24th: The Feast of Adam and Eve
- Traditionally, the 24th is celebrated as the feast of Adam and Eve (read more about it here). It should be a day of fasting and abstinence as we prepare our hearts to feast the next day.
- Read the story of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden.
- Include apples in your meal plans today...for obvious reasons!
Advent Activities at St. Anthony
We have several opportunities to help you grow in faith during Advent as we prepare for the coming of Jesus.
- December 15: Stations of the Nativity. A favorite parish Advent activity returns! All parishioners are welcome to gather in church to focus through song and scripture on the coming of Emmanuel. 6:30 p.m. in the church, with refreshments to follow, ending by 7:30.
- December 18-19: Christmas Drive for Helping Hands. We’ll collect more hearty soups, ravioli, canned meat, peanut butter and other foods that are harder to come by.
- December 19: Confirming the Gift of Faith. As we prepare to get and give Christmas gifts, let’s discover the special gifts of the Holy Spirit and explore the sacrament of Confirmation. We’ll see how Mary and the saints share their gifts to reveal God’s love to the world. Faith formation gathering for all ages, from 9 to 10:15 a.m.
- December 23: Decorate the Church for Christmas. The Liturgy Commission invites all members of the parish to join us as we “deck the halls” for Christmas at 9 a.m.
- St. Anthony’s Online Advent Center is full of reflections, music playlists, prayers, and more.
Coming soon…preparing for Christmas!